Amitriptyline Withdrawal

Wednesday, June 24, 2009 0 comments
I felt like crap today and I had no idea why. I had a headache, hot flashes, stomach cramps, felt tense and dizzy. I thought I was getting my period but then I remembered that the night before I purposefully didn't take my medication that was prescribed for my insomnia. I'm only on 10mg so I didn't think I would have a hard time if I stopped. I didn't tell my doctor I was stopping the medication, which is always a bad idea. I just got fed up with the Amitriptyline (generic name: Elavil) because it's not doing anything. I feel like my insomnia had gotten worse. So last night I just didn't want to take it.

I still feel dizzy and nauseous and I have a headache. The withdrawal is too horrible so I'll have to continue taking it until I can see my doctor. Tapering off is the way to go. I'll insist on that this time. Last time, my doc didn't even tell me about the withdrawal symptoms when he took me off Effexor XR (at 225mg/day) and put me on Celexa.

I think the withdrawal symptoms are similar to the side effects. Side effects of taking amitriptyline include:
  • nausea
  • vomiting
  • drowsiness
  • weakness or tiredness
  • nightmares
  • headaches
  • dry mouth
  • constipation
  • difficulty urinating
  • blurred vision
  • pain, burning, or tingling in the hands or feet
  • changes in sex drive or ability
  • excessive sweating
  • changes in appetite or weight
  • confusion
  • unsteadiness
Luckily I haven't experienced any of these side effects while taking it; only when I miss a dose. The worst part must be getting off medication. I'm a little scared of what that will feel like. I'm afraid that if I increase the amitriptyline it'll be harder to taper off if the increase doesn't help. I don't know what to do.

Source:
Medline Plus - Side Effects

0 comments:

 

©Copyright 2011 Panicked-Chick | TNB